Our Store Policies
PoliciesEXCHANGES & RETURNS
Items purchased from J. West Jewelers may be returned for a store credit, when accompanied by the sales slip, within 30 days from the date of purchase. Merchandise must be unused and unworn, in original condition, and in the original gift box. Sale items, special orders, completed layaways, modified (including ring sizing) and/or custom pieces are non returnable or exchangeable. Gift recipients will be issued a merchandise credit only. Gift certificates are not redeemable for cash.
Special orders are non returnable, and no exchange or credit can be made. All special orders require a nonrefundable deposit. A special order includes any jewelry, gemstone or gift item ordered at the client’s request.
Articles may be placed on layaway for a maximum of 6 months with a minimum deposit of 20%. Completed layaways are not returnable or exchangeable. Layaways cancelled after 30 days of the original layaway are subject to a 20% restocking fee and the cost of any alterations.
Custom designed jewelry involves metal, gems and labor furnished for a specific client. As such, all custom jewelry is nonrefundable, and requires a 25% nonrefundable deposit before the work begins. Every effort is made by J. West Jewelers to accurately manufacture or produce the item(s) so ordered. Full payment upon receipt of custom work will denote the client's complete satisfaction. Minor adjustments, such as ring sizing or texturing, will gladly be made to accommodate the wearer at either a modest fee or at no charge, depending on the extent of the work involved.
The diamonds in all J. West Jewelers pieces have been purchased from legitimate sources not involved in funding conflict in compliance with the United Nations resolutions. J. West Jewelers hereby guarantees that these diamonds are conflict-free, based on personal knowledge and/or written guarantees provided by the supplier of these diamonds.
SERVICING AND CLEANING
We will clean your jewelry (ultrasonic and steam) and check the settings free of charge. We recommend this be done at least twice a year. J. West Jewelers is not responsible for the loss of stones due to worn prongs and settings when cleaning.
COLORED GEMSTONE ENHANCEMENT DISCLOSURE
Purchasers of colored gemstones should be aware that natural gemstones are processed from the time they are extracted from the earth by one or more traditionally accepted trade practices. All colored gemstones listed on the front of this sales slip have probably been subject to a stable and possibly undetectable
enhancement process. All relevant information will be readily provided to the best of our knowledge. Prevailing market values are based on these universally practiced and accepted processes by the gem and jewelry trade.
WHITE GOLD ENHANCEMENT DISCLOSURE
Most white gold pieces are rhodium finished. This is not a permanent treatment.
Guarantee In General
We guarantee everything we make, repair, or sell for 1 year from the date of delivery unless otherwise notated here or in writing to the customer. This means we guarantee such things as stones from
falling out or become loose and the parts that we made or repaired will not break in the areas in which we worked.
Watch repairs are guaranteed for 12 months on our work. We are unable to warranty watch work if the watch is unable to seal out water and dust, a common problem for watches.
Items not guaranteed
1. Glued items.
3. Lead solders that do not have a special “patch” support.
4. Gold or Rhodium plating.
5. Loss of any prong set stone that has 3 or less prongs.
6. Loss of any round stone over 1/2 carat unless it is set in a six prong gold setting or a four prong platinum setting.
7. Loss of any prong set stone unless it has the following number of prongs. (Or unless they are set in platinum)
Cut and No. of Prongs
Trillion-Must have “V” prongs
We do not assume responsibility for the loss of a single diamond and expensive colored gemstones above 1 carat. Customer should have stone appraised and covered by a jewelry rider with their homeowners insurance.
8. Prong set stones that have thin prongs, missing prongs, or stones that are set crooked, leaving a much shorter prong on one side of the stone than the other.
9. Bead setting where the beads are badly worn or some beads are missing or stones that are set crooked, leaving part of the girdle of the stone to be sticking up beyond the surface of the metal.
Items Not Guaranteed
10. Channel setting where either the channel is very thin, torn, not straight across the stones OR there is no support underneath the channels to hold them together. Example: No cross wires or support to keep the channel from pulling away leaving the stone to loosen up or fall out.
11. Bezel setting where the bezel is too thin, torn, or the stone is set crooked and is not all of the stone is held in by the bezel.
Specific Item Guarantees
- If we size the customer’s actual finger and the size is incorrect, we will resize the customer’s ring at NO CHARGE within 30 DAYS from the Date of Delivery. If we did not get to size the customer’s finger and the ring was either a casting, special order or a sale from us, we will resize the ring once at no charge, within 30 days of the delivery date from our store.
- If we size a ring to the customer’s requested size despite our recommendation and that size is incorrect, we will charge again to resize the ring. (Example: We think the customer should wear a size 5 and the customer requests a 6 and after sizing it is to loose, we will charge again. In such cases, mark clearly on the envelope “Per Customer Request”.)
- We can only guarantee our ring sizing from the customer’s finger. We can not be given another ring to go by for size and be accurate.
- The ring size on a ring will not change, but because a customer’s finger can become larger or smaller because of diet, medication, the weather or weight change, we can only guarantee ring sizings for 30 days from the date of delivery of the ring.
Tightening & Checking
1. Tightening stones: Our extra fee charged to check & tighten stones will warranty against stone loss as long as the stones are set as described on page 1400-36. Without the extra charge to tighten stones (as described in our price book for tightening stones), we do not warranty the stones against loss, unless we actually set the stones, except for ring sizing, 0-4 stones, which is covered as long as the stones are set as described on page 1400-36.
2. “Checking Links” - When asked to “check links” on rivets, chains, bracelets, clasps, etc., we can not guarantee their loss or durability. Many items can not be checked without taking them completely
apart. This will cause the item to have to be repaired just because of the disassembly. Many items that are wearing “OK” today may have a problem days or weeks later. We can only guarantee items that we actually repair, not ones that we visually inspect.
3. Re-tipped prongs on stones- We can not guarantee the loss of a stone when we do not re-tip or re-prong all of the prongs when we deem it necessary to repair all of the prongs or tips.
Gems & Diamonds
- We do not guarantee that a diamond or gemstone, once taken out of our store will not chip, break, scratch, or fracture. No stone, including a diamond, can be guaranteed not to break, chip, scratch, or fracture. We strongly suggest insuring your jewelry with your homeowners policy. They will pay for damage.
- We can not be responsible for the further fracture or damage to stones or diamonds that are received from the customer that are already damaged, chipped, broken, or have large inclusions or imperfections. We will inform the customer of these items before proceeding with the repair or installation work.